Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Introducing Rev. Chris Ferguson....

It’s official! Chris Ferguson is now a licensed minister of the United Pentecostal Church! Thanks to all of you who have prayed for us and to Bro. and Sis. Smith for all your help. We couldn’t have made it this far without you.

We actually went to Lufkin on Monday night and spent some time visiting with my Mom and Dad. We got up on Tuesday morning, ate breakfast, spent some time relaxing and then decided to take them to lunch. We took them to eat at Manhattan’s Italian restaurant in downtown Lufkin. We went there with Bro. and Sis. Smith, Bro. and Sis. Patrick and Redonia during campmeeting last year and we thought Mom and Dad would like it, too. We were right. They enjoyed the meal and the atmosphere was very nice, elegant, and quiet. After we left there, we had a few minutes before we needed to head to the camp grounds so we all went and poked around The Antique Mall.

At 12:30 we headed over to the campgrounds so that we could take our time and be a little early for the devotion at 1:00. We shouldn’t have worried since we didn’t actually get started until 1:15. Then, they called us back to the boardroom. Bro. Gerald gave the devotion entitled, “The Preacher’s Greatest Temptation”. It was good teaching and I really enjoyed it, even though I’m not a preacher! One of the highlights of the day happened while Bro. Gerald was speaking. He was getting towards the end of his message and really starting to wind up. “What I do….” Brrrrriiiinng. Brrrrriiiinng. The veteran never missed a beat. “….when my phone rings and I’m in the middle of something important, is, I take it and turn it off because there’s nothing more important than what’s going on right here!” The room erupted into laughter! I have a snapshot image in my mind of Bro. Russo leaned back in his chair, head thrown back laughing with gusto! Priceless!

Then began the waiting game. We were really blessed to be there with our friends Adam and Tara Slatter. We haven’t seen them since MAP and their company really made the time go by fast. We also enjoyed visiting with Sis. Elms and meeting some of the other couples who were there for licensing.

Finally, they called my husband to meet a panel of three presbyters. That was the most nerve wracking 15 minutes of the day! Chris says it wasn’t a big deal but I was having a hard time breathing! I guess the reason it’s so hard for the wives is because we don’t know what’s happening. Even if we weren’t allowed to speak if we could just “see” and “hear” what was going on we would feel so much better! Wives are usually more alert to body language, voice tone and facial expressions…if I could have just seen and heard the interview, then the rest of my day probably wouldn’t have been so long!

As it was, we and the Slatters had a great time laughing with each other. We were mostly laughing at our own nervousness and imagining that the couches we were sitting on had special trap doors under them where the board members would just push a button and “flush” us somewhere into the nether regions of “The Campground” (said in an ominous voice). You know, that’s what they do to preachers that don’t “make the cut”. LOL The phrase of the day was, “And the board rushes out….” Always, of course, in response to something we’ve done or said wrong…that’s when they would flush us. Wives included.

However, I’m happy to say that, to my knowledge, no one was flushed yesterday. I’m not even aware of any initiation swirlies! That’s good news, is it not?

At around five-ish they finally called a list of men back to the boardroom. My husband was included. I was having heart palpitations and hoping this was the right group to be in. When my husband came out he was a Rev. Just like that. And all the breath holding, lip biting, toe tapping, etc., was over. We all congratulated each other…everyone hugged everyone else; and then we did what all good Pentecostals do after an emotional rollercoaster ride: we went to eat! This time with Rev. and Mrs. Adam Slatter!

For those who had the privilege of being raised in the truth (like myself), you may find it hard to understand why this is such a huge milestone. Children raised in the church are taught from a young age what truth is and that preaching this great truth is the greatest thing a person could ever aspire to….even greater than the Presidency of the United States of America! And it is! But for men like my husband, they are not handed this beautiful truth all wrapped up in beautiful packaging, just waiting to be explored at will. For him, he had to dig out of a lot of false doctrine to be able to find this precious truth. Since this post is a bit long (ha!) I won’t go into his testimony here, but suffice it to say that he has come a long way and I am so very proud of him.

I love you, babe. You’re my hero.

11 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!! We are so proud of each of you....it's always 'worth the wait'. God's timing is best in every situation. I'm thankful you don't just have the title but are carrying out the duties, too! Remember He isn't finished with you yet...there's just no telling what another chapter or two later will read.

Congrats to Adam & Tara, too. They're some of our babies, too. What an honor for us to know that both of you fine couples have been apart of our lives. We love you both dearly.

Misti Ferguson said...

Thank you, Sis. Smith! If it had not been for you and Bro. Smith we certainly would not have made it even this far...thank you for everything! We love ya'll!

Linda Weldon said...

I love this! I laughed so hard at your very descriptive time of "waiting". :) My husband and I love you and Bro. Ferguson so very much. We are so happy and proud for you. It truly is an honor for us to work with you in God's Kingdom at CUPC. I know God has great things in store for you and as Sis. Smith said, I can only imagine what another chapter or two down the road will be for you! We love you! Bro. & Sis. Weldon

Glenda said...

Congratulations!!!!!lvu

@mafost said...

Congrats.

Belinda said...

GIRL WE ARE SOSOSOSOSOSOSO HAPPY FOR YA'LL!!!!!! When Bro A told me I was shouting for ya'll. I remember that day as if it were yesterday, and while it was nerve wracking it was worth every time I bit my nails. lol We are proud of ya'll!

Tamara Frazier said...

YEAH!!!! I am soo happy for you guys!! And you are such a great storyteller lol, makes me want to go and give Aaron a swirlie just for the fun of it...hehe. You guys have such a great work ahead of you!

Anonymous said...

YEAH! Congrats, to you both!!

Misti Ferguson said...

Thanks everyone for all your support! We love you all!

Deadra's Dialogue said...

I know I'm a little late....I just got around to reading blogs although I have already told you in person, Congrats! I am proud of you and too know God has great things for you. I love ya'll!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I know the wait must have been hard... Mom used to host all the aspiring ministers' wives at our house every year... I learned a lot about what to say and what not to say LOL... I hope I get to do that someday... who knows...

Anyhoo... I am truly happy and proud of y'all, though I'm not around as much, I was very happy when I learned that you were applying, and I had y'all in my prayers... again, congratulations!