Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!


Happy Valentine’s Day to the love of my life! For those of you who don’t know, here at CUPC we are also known as “the Mushy-sons”. That was coined last year by one of my wonderful students who played me in the end of the year “Roast the Teachers and the Seniors” skit. (I think Trent put her up to it! LOL) We are thus ridiculed because I happen to like to tell stories about my husband. Everyday…. All the time…. To a captive audience I call “students” LOL! Actually, I don’t do it so much these day (I have too much teaching to do!) but I did it quite a bit a few years ago – when Trent was a student. What’s ironic is that Trent and Calah are just as mushy as Chris and I ever were, so now they get it, too! They’re the new “Mushies”! LOL


So this past Monday we went to a wonderful restaurant called Jasper’s in The Woodlands. Monday night was the only night this week that we had free due to his work schedule and church and family responsibilities. We had a delicious dinner and then afterwards we strolled through Market Street looking in the stores. We ended up at Borders bookstore reading books and magazines. We enjoyed spending time with each other so very much…it really means something to get to spend time with someone when you feel like much of your life is spent rushing from one thing to another.


I truly do adore my sweet husband. Words cannot express what he means to me. I am also very proud of him…About four years ago he became manager of the Baskin’s Department Store here in Conroe. When Chris took the store it was a strong #3 out of 14 stores. Through hard work, prayer and God’s blessings, he has taken the store to the #1 position (out of 16 stores now) for the year 2008. What was really awesome was that one of the stores that he beat was the flagship store that has more square footage, more volume, a better location, more advertising, and an internet store that runs out of it. We give God all the glory! When the owner or the president of the company asks him how he’s doing this (they want to duplicate his success in other stores), Chris always responds, “I pray and I pay my tithes!” LOL


I’m also very proud of the minister he is becoming. In the past few years, he has accepted his call to the ministry and has dedicated himself to preparing for that role. As he has managed his store, he has commented many times about how he can see how this experience is going to help him in the ministry. At church he has tried to be anything Bro. Smith has needed him to be - whether that meant covering the foyer doors with black paper for a special program or bringing a Bible lesson to the church (and everything in between!). Last month we attended the MAP seminar in Lufkin. The MAP seminar is a weekend of instruction and testing for ministerial applicants. We enjoyed it immensely and Chris (thankfully!) passed his test. We will go before the board this Tuesday to see if they will approve our ministerial application. Pray church pray!


Our future in the ministry is an uncertain adventure but I can honestly say that I wouldn’t want to take it with anyone else. I have never trusted anyone like I trust Chris Ferguson. He is sensitive to the Holy Ghost and - just as important - he is obedient to the Holy Ghost. He truly desires to follow after God and makes time for that very special relationship every morning. Today, I want to say thank you to my sweetheart for how he loves God and always strives to lead me to a closer relationship with HIM. Like the old song says “…I trust you with my love because you’re His. I see Him in you!”


I love you, sweetness…Happy Valentine’s Day!

2 comments:

@mafost said...

What a mushy post...there's nothing wrong with that...all happily married couples act that way. Just ask Nancy.

In case you haven't seen it, here's Olivia's website:
http://oliviakathryn.spaces.live.com

Tracie Smith said...

Aaahhh...I love you both dearly!