Monday, November 10, 2008

It's Monday...

rain Pictures, Images and Photos


It’s Monday and it’s raining. We got up at five this morning to get ready for our day...I taught my classes and actually got off close to the time I’m supposed to get off! Yay!

Yesterday’s services were really great…Last night Bro. Smith preached an awesome message about Tolerating the Inappropriate. I think it’s definitely General Conference worthy…everyone who calls themselves a Pentecostal should hear it.

But for me, I really enjoyed yesterday morning’s worship service. As Chris and I were leading the praise team, I just became overwhelmed with thankfulness to be in God’s house again. I say this often, but there are so many other places we could be…and I don’t just mean physically. We could be in sickness, or in an unhappy marriage, or in a storm of some kind, but right at that moment we have the privilege of being in God’s house, with God’s people in God’s presence. Contrary to what the world says, it really doesn’t get any better than that! The presence of the Lord was so sweet as we sang yesterday and I felt such a refreshing and faith. I knew that if someone could believe for a miracle, and was willing to act on that faith, God was there, ready to meet needs. It brought to mind an experience I had several years ago.

I had been fighting the flu or strep or some type of sickness in my body for several days but made myself go to church on a Wednesday night. To say that I did not feel good is an understatement. At the close of the service, Pastor called everyone around the front for a time of prayer and worship. I remember standing there and saying something along the lines of, “Lord, you know this is really a sacrifice for me. You know how bad I feel right now. Please help me. I don’t feel good.” Nothing earth shattering, nothing dramatic…just talking to Him. Suddenly, the Lord brought back to mind some good, old fashioned teaching I had heard in the past: anything can happen in an atmosphere of worship …I could lift my hands and without anyone laying hands on me, I could be healed because Jesus was there in the midst of my praise. So I did it. I raised my hands and began to worship the Lord and thank Him for my healing. Immediately, I began to feel different…sort of warm. As I continued to worship, I just became lost in His presence for a few minutes. When I finally stopped, I knew that I was healed. I wasn’t sick at all after that.

That was the type of faith I felt yesterday morning. I was so overwhelmed, I just had to stop and worship. I think it’s important for worship leaders to do that sometimes. It’s easy to get so caught up in doing things “right” that you forget how to relax and truly worship. In the middle of trying to remember the words (especially if the PowerPoint malfunctions), trying to remember the way the song goes (and where you can’t go with the song), and how many times you do this or what sign goes with that part, you also have to allow yourself to “connect” to the song. If you don’t believe what you’re saying, no one else will either. It also helps if you have a great partner who can carry and land the song with or without your help! (Luv you, Babe!)

This coming Sunday morning, I will again believe for miracles along with my Pastor and my church family. On Thursday, we will join together for a day of prayer and fasting and I know that God will honor it. I have found that desperation coupled with sincerity and childlike faith gets His attention like nothing else. He has done it for me many times and I know that He desires to do it for others, too.

It’s Monday…but Sunday's on the way.

4 comments:

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Good stuff!!! You are Bro. Fergie do a great job leading us in worship. I too are believing for miracles! Love you bunches!

Tracie Smith said...

I hate I missed most of the worship service. Duty called! The worship service is so important for the service. I'm glad each of you leaders as well as most of music team seems to be able to worship freely. It makes worship on the pew easier, too! CUPC is blessed. I, too, am looking forward to Sunday!!!!

KAN said...

It was back in May during an incredibly difficult bout with this horrific depression that on a Sunday nite the miracle happened for me.

The praise team was singing that song with words like the battle's not won with guns and war, but with worship. I stepped out into the aisle and told God I was so tired of being "embarassed" because I was so often the only "idiot" that was dancing and going off at church. But I was there and then going to worship Him because He was so worthy, and if I was the only one that ever stepped out in the aisle ever again, it would be okay. You see, because I have lived FULL TILT for the devil, I REFUSE not to live FULL TILT for God. If I can act like an idiot for the devil, I can go all out for God

Yes, I know it's always more than just a shout, but being demonstrative IS my nature, and I am going to demonstrate to God just how I feel every chance I can.

Well, IMMEDIATELY, when I stepped out into the aisle and began worshipping, the darkness left and I could, too, feel the warmth flood over me and light filter into my eyes.

God is so good, Sis Fergie. And I soo am binding together with everyone for Sunday. There are several miracles needed in my personal family, as I know are needed in the church.

But more than that: it's all about new souls, too. Hopefully we can all get past "church about us". That's not it at all!!!

Misti Ferguson said...

Dee...thanks! Love you too!

Sis. S....I agree, God is good!

Sis. N...As you know, by nature I'm not a demonstrative person, but I believe that demonstrative worship is a mandate from God. We truly offer up a sacrifice of praise when it is uncomfortable to our flesh and we do it anyway in obedience to His word. I'm glad you stepped out...your exuberant worship is encouraging to the music dept!